Elarbee Thompson provides legal advice to a wide range of retail and service industry clients regarding their constantly-changing business and employment challenges.
We strive to enhance the value of our clients’ businesses through strategic support and risk management to avoid litigation when possible and aggressive defense of business and/or employment claims before federal and state courts and administrative agencies when necessary. Representative clients in this area include, retailers (both specialty and “big box”), banks, transactional and financial institutions, property management companies and professional services firms.
Our attorneys advise companies on best practices involving:
- Interviewing and hiring, including the use of credit and criminal background checks
- Pay and benefits, including the proper classification of employees and independents contractors and other potential wage and hour claims
- Loss prevention both in employment and premises liability
- Managing employee leave, including medical, family and veterans leave
- Workplace accommodations, including reasonable accommodation of disabilities
- Corporate investigations, including claims of unlawful harassment
- Employee discipline, up to and including discharge
- Labor relations and union issues
- Mass tort litigation and class actions
- Handling other third-party or customer-related issues, including liability claims